Innovative digital strategist and content marketer with proven success building audience, engagement, and loyalty
Willis Towers Watson, New York, NY, 2011 – Present
Director, Digital Marketing and Communications, for this global insurance broker
- Responsible for all external and internal digital properties — including website, social media, intranet, digital advertising, and related Web properties.
- Developed content marketing strategy to raise engagement and awareness through thought leadership:
- Established the company’s social media strategy, launching corporate presence on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube – and supervised some two dozen social media accounts around the world.
cyberROTH Interactive Solutions, New York, NY, 2000–2011
Independent digital strategy consultant.
- Client: Snuggie – Developed social media strategy for Q4 2010, immediately increasing engagement.
- Client: Oxfam International – Recruited and managed international bloggers to cover 2009 G20 Summit; built G20 Voice website to promote their posts, generating nearly 13% of all tweets about the G20. Wrote publicity materials for 2008 In My Name campaign — including script for video starring Will.I.Am, Kristin Davis, Scarlett Johansson, and John Legend, viewed more than 287,000 times in first month.
- Client: NPR’s “Justice Talking” radio – Helped double traffic of show’s website and develop Webby award-winning spin-off site in partnership with The New York Times Learning Network.
- Client: Nickelodeon – Conducted qualitative research and analysis for AddictingGames.com, Shockwave.com, NickJr.com. and ParentsConnect.com — with Dan Joseph & Associates.
Nurun, New York, NY, 2007–2008
Account Director for this global digital advertising agency
- Formed Web strategy to reposition Evian’s digital brand and centralize control over local brand sites.
- FDirected redesign of Evian US website, increasing per-visit page views 13% and visit duration 28%.
- Project managed additional high-profile projects, e.g. Snuggle fabric softener’s online sponsorship of “So You Think You Can Dance” and an innovative game for Lancaster cosmetics
Evolve Strategies, Philadelphia, PA, 2005 – 2007
Senior Strategist, for this digital agency
- Developed Web strategy for UN Millennium Campaign, which spurred 400% increase in site traffic and 500% increase in average visit duration – and helped mobilize and document 23,542,614 participants in Campaign’s global Stand Up
- Produced Web 2.0 strategy for Witness, enabling the human rights organization to develop its first direct filmmaker-to-public initiative, Video Hub, vastly extending its reach and influence.
Remington Products Company, Bridgeport, CT, 2002–2005
Digital consultant, for this personal grooming manufacturer
- Developed RemingTEEN mini-site for teen products, increasing traffic to main site.
- Developed quickly adopted PowerPoint app for company’s sales force.
ClickThings, New York, NY, 2000–2001
Director of Product Management, for this software development startup
- Developed B-to-C Internet software, taking application from concept to beta before company folded.
- Managed six-person department responsible for three products.
APBnews.com, New York, NY, 1999–2000
Director of Marketing & Online Strategies, for this award-winning news site startup
- Directed online advertising, increasing unique site visitors from 311,000 to 1,052,000 and raising brand awareness from less than 1% to 13.5%.
- Developed viral strategy of newsletters and downloads to leverage fan loyalty and increase traffic.
- Managed eight-person marketing department and the PR and interactive agencies that served it.
- Developed new content channel and produced channel’s first interactive feature – a finalist for Scripps Howard Foundation’s National Journalism Award for Web Reporting.
- Worked with celebrity writer to define and produce ongoing column.
CMP Media, Manhasset, NY, 1997–1999
Executive Producer/Managing Editor, for this trade publisher
- Determined long-term editorial strategy for NetGuide.com, a profitable consumer content site.
- Directed site’s viral and guerrilla marketing, maintaining traffic levels of 2 million page views / month.
- Maintained content relationships with key syndication partners, e.g. AOL, AT&T Worldnet, BellSouth, Compaq, Infoseek, and AdKnowledge.
- Managed 12 editors, producers, designers, programmers, and freelancers in three locations.
- New York University, New York, NY
- Master of Arts, English.
- Allegheny College, Meadville, PA
- Bachelor of Arts, English.
- Minors in graphic design and in history
Press and Honors
- Digital Communications Award for Content Marketing (shortlisted), September 2014
- An industry finding its voice – Intelligent Insurer article quoting me, Nov. 19, 2013
- Analysis: Insurers’ embrace of social media – Reactions magazine article quoting me, Mar. 25, 2013
- Content Marketing? For Insurance?! – Business Development Institute presentation, Dec. 19, 2012
- Webby award for NPR’s “Justice Talking” spin-off site, Justice Learning, 2006
- Scripps Howard Foundation’s National Journalism Award for Web Reporting (finalist) – for APB Unsolved, interactive feature, 2000