Using Gestalt Psychology to Understand Design
Gestalt psychology is about human perception. This presentation uses gestalt psychology to explain the principles of good design. The presentation itself, without script or voiceover, primarily provides visual examples of five principal laws:
- Law of proximity – objects placed near to one another are distinguished as a group.
- Law of similarity – objects which have similar properties are grouped.
- Law of closure – objects which are alltogether surrounded by a border are seen as a group.
- Law of continuity – objects placed in a certain row are seen as a group.
- Law of simplicity – objects are always perceived in their simplest form.